March 9, 2013

Easy Homemade Tomato Soup

click for a recipe for easy homemade tomato soup
Homemade Tomato Soup


I love comfort food. There is something so great about a home cooked meal that can completely turn my mood around or make me feel better after I have been sick. Everyone has their favorite comfort food. My two boys prefer macaroni and cheese, while my husband loves pinto beans and cornbread. I love a number of different comfort foods, but my favorite combination is grilled cheese and tomato soup. There is something so delicious about a great bowl of tomato soup and a perfectly cooked grilled cheese sandwich. Canned soup just doesn't do it for me, for tasty tomato soup I must have homemade. Fresh tomatoes made into a simple tomato soup are easy and perfect. The taste of the tomatoes shines through and just makes me feel great. Last week I tried a new recipe for Tomato Soup from the February issue of All You magazine.

This recipe has 9 ingredients. It takes 60 minutes of total time, 30 minutes of which is active. I did make a number of changes to this recipe. First I just made the soup and not the cheddar croutons. Second I pureed the some while it was still warm. Just make sure that the lid is firmly attached and place a rag over the top to ensure that you do not get burned. I did allow the soup to cook for an additional 10 minutes after it was pureed to ensure it was the proper thickness.

If you want to make the soup a cream of tomato soup you can add half and half or heavy cream instead of the water. You could also add the half and half or heavy cream at the end of the recipe before serving and allow it to cook for an additional five minutes. I like that this soup is simple and lets the flavor of the tomatoes shine through. Make sure to adequately salt the soup, it will need it. Overall, a great recipe that worked well as a side for grilled cheese sandwiches and I would definitely make again.

For the recipe go to Tomato Soup. 

28 comments:

  1. I hope your feeling better. I love tomato soup and grilled cheese. So does my husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on antibiotics for strep, so I am feeling much better now, thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Tomato soup is my favorite. I usually pair it with grilled cheese and it's one of our family favorite dinners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomato soup and grilled cheese it the best!

      Delete
  3. It's snowing and windy today.. This will be perfect for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weather was actually beautiful today, but it is back to being nasty tomorrow :(

      Delete
  4. I have loved tomato soup since I can remember. My mom always said my sister would ask for fish sticks and all I wanted was a bowl of tomato soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way growing up, I have always loved it!

      Delete
  5. This sounds so refreshing after a weekend full of heavy food overload!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is terrific! This is exactly the kind of blog I need to be reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite soup, hands down. A lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to try this! Hello. I saw you at the hop social and I am your newest follower in GFC from http://inhighheelsanddogtags.blogspot.jp/. I look forward to seeing you over at my blog next :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like tomato soap, but you make me want to try it again. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hubby thanks you for this. I don't like tomato soup very much but he loves it! I'm going to have to make this for him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! First off the photo is lovely!
    I'm not a cook at all but have been learning the past year or so and am going to be making lentil soup tomorrow, (Try and warm myself up seeing as we're still getting snow), but my partner only like tomato and now you've given me a recipe.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. Have also followed.
    Best wishes - Danielle.
    http://thesweetnesstalks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet comments :) I love lentil soup, I bet it will be yummy!

      Delete
  12. Yummy! I love homemade tomato soup. Really hits the spot on cold days or if you're feeling under the weather. Yours looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it is great when it's cold inside or out :)

      Delete
  13. my man would love this! thanks for sharing!

    Amanda Rose
    http://semwuchtosay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I simply love tomato soup and prepare it regularly at home in winters! surely homemade is better that canned soups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tomato soup also, it is a perfect comfort food!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...