July 3, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ever since my potassium became dangerously low in January I have made an effort to eat foods rich in potassium. I drink a lot of low-sodium v-8 and I attempt to eat bananas. The emphasis here should be on the word attempt. My husband and two boys love bananas, I can't stand them. In baked good bananas are delicious, but there is something about the texture of uncooked bananas that I can't stomach. So I have the problem of buying bananas and not eating them for a week. During the colder months this isn't really a problem since it takes the bananas a while to turn brown. However, with the 100 degree days that we have been experiencing, my bananas have been going almost black in a matter of days. So what I have I been doing with all these over-ripe bananas, I have been baking. Last week I tried a new recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins from Taste of Home Magazine which looked perfect since my whole family loves the taste of chocolate and banana together.
This recipe has 10 ingredients. It takes 25 minutes of prep and 15 minutes of baking and makes 24 muffins. I did make a few modifications to the ingredients. I decided to make these muffins at the last minute and I didn't have any chocolate chips. The store across the street from my house only had dark chocolate candy bars, so I substituted 6 ounces of chopped chocolate bars for the chocolate chips. Secondly, I only had two bananas, instead of the three suggested by the recipe and I left out the walnuts completely since I don't like nuts in cookies and muffins. Finally, I made 18 large muffins instead of the 24 suggested in the recipe. I like large muffins and 24 small muffins wouldn't work for my family. Rotate the muffin pan halfway through the baking time to ensure even browning. I followed the remainder of the recipe as written.

My boys ate 10 of these muffins within the first day that I made this recipe. The dark chocolate and banana work well together, without either being overpowering. I liked that the muffins were moist and using the dark chocolate candy bar made for delicious bursts of chocolate flavor. Definitely a recipe I would make again!

For the recipe go to Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm yummy! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really were yummy and the variations worked great!

      Delete
  2. i need to try this!
    http://spliffedcookies.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...