June 16, 2012

Cumin and Ancho Chicken Tacos

There is one food that I can guarantee that my whole family will eat, tacos. Even when my two boys were very small and were just beginning table foods, they loved guacamole and pico de gallo. Now they devour tacos and will go through the fridge and make their own with leftovers. I agree with them, tacos are delicious for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I make them approximately once a month. My husband and I always disagree about our favorite taco fillings, he loves short ribs and fish tacos, I am a huge fan of grilled chicken, yum! My boys will eat any of them regardless as long as I make homemade guacamole. Recently, the June issue of Bon Appetit had a great article on tacos and the recipe for Cumin and Ancho Chicken Tacos caught my eye and looked perfect for my family.
This recipe has 5 ingredients. It takes 20 minutes of prep and cooking (plus 2 hours of marinating) and makes 6 servings. I had no problems finding any of the ingredients, all the stores in my area now have ancho chili powder and one even has it in a generic, which is great. I have an indoor grill and I love using it in the summer when it's hot. It doesn't heat up my kitchen and I don't have to stand outside in the heat in front of our huge charcoal grill. Since I grilled my thighs on an indoor grill they did take longer to fully cook, probably closer to 10-12 minutes total. Instead of cubing the finished chicken I chopped it, I prefer my chicken to be a little smaller than large cubes. It would also be delicious thinly sliced. I served the tacos with Taqueria Guacamole and Pico de Gallo. I followed the remainder of the recipe as written.

These tacos were delicious! The recipe states that it makes 6 servings, but we had enough leftovers for two more meals. The chicken was full of flavor and were nice and juicy from using thighs. Even my three-year-old ate two whole tacos. Make sure to heat your tortillas in a skillet. I served the tacos with cheese, but my husband and I decided they were better without. Overall, a great new taco recipe!

For the recipe go to Cumin and Ancho Chicken Tacos.

10 comments:

  1. Yum! My 3yo would LOVE these! Following back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the tacos just looks too enticing...mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love tacos and these look wonderful! I will being giving this recipe a try.
    Thanks Victoria @Easy2SaveBlog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love tacos too! Tell me how the recipe turns out if you end up trying it!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE tacos and so does my husband. I actually don't think I've met a taco I didn't like! I agree about the cheese, too. Sometimes you really don't need it, which is great, because that mean less calories! Thank, Frugal! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original recipe didn't have cheese, but I experimented with the cheese and decided the recipe was better as is :) I agree about tacos, I absolutely love them also!

      Delete
  5. We all love tacos as well. I think the kids like it in part because they can assemble them by themselves :)

    Your pictures look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids love to assemble the tacos! They are definitely kid friendly!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...