May 25, 2012

Country-Style Barbecue Ribs

I can't believe how quickly this year is going, it's already Memorial Day weekend! My oldest had this last day of kindergarten this week. Apparently he decided to take part in the talent show at school at the last minute and now is mad at me for not being there. Oh well, mommy fail for the week apparently. Memorial Day means one thing to me, the beginning of the barbecue season. I absolutely love to barbecue. Growing up my dad was always in charge of the grill. Now granted we had a charcoal grill (my husband and my father have that in common neither one will touch a gas grill) and for whatever reason my dad tried to almost burn himself while trying to start the fire every year. One would think that he would eventually not do that, but alas he had the same problem with camp fires every year as well. The beginning of summer is one of my favorite times of the year. There is something very nostalgic about having a barbecue with ribs, chicken, great potato salad and of course a spectacular dessert. Unfortunately my husband and I never seem to actually have the time to grill any more so instead I have found a great alternative for making ribs, my slow-cooker. The June issue of Family Circle magazine had a recipe for Country-Style Barbecue Ribs, which with 15 minutes of prep looked perfect for a busy summer dinner.
This recipe has 9 ingredients. It takes 15 minutes of prep and 9 hours in the crockpot and makes 6 servings. I had no problems finding any of the ingredients at my local grocery store, most of them I already had on hand. This recipe is very straightforward the only changes I made were to use light brown sugar since that is what I already had in my pantry and to use slightly more than the 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke. After tasting it I thought it would benefit from a slight increase. As I always do I chose to cook this dish on low, I prefer cooking on low in my crockpot. I followed the remainder of the recipe as written.

I felt that this recipe didn't make enough sauce once it was done. There were only a few tablespoons of sauce left to brush the ribs with. If you are like my family and love sauce you should definitely double the sauce amounts. The sauce was mild and would appeal to people that like simple bbq sauces like Kraft. If you are like my husband and like more bite to your sauce than you should look for another recipe. My two boys loved this recipe, it was very child friendly. The pork was very tender and falling off the bone, which is perfect. Overall, a very easy slow-cooker recipe that has 38 grams of protein per serving.

For the recipe go to Country-Style Barbecue Ribs.

33 comments:

  1. Yum... wish I had a BBQ to go to this weekend. But I will share your Memorial Weekend post on my facbook page.

    Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're staying at home also and we are going to grill out with just our family :) Thanks for sharing my post!

      Delete
  2. When I was young I would never eat ribs because I didn't like my face getting covered in sauce. Now I eat with abandon. I learned my face washes. :)

    Love ribs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a fan of ribs growing up either, but I love them as an adult :)

      Delete
  3. It really looks interesting, we love sauce a lot too in my family.
    Following you now on GFC and Linky. Have a great weekend!
    http://www.ugochi-jolomi.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sauce can make or brake a rib or pulled pork recipe :) Going over to check out your blog now!

      Delete
  4. For some reason it was very hard to leave a comment, first there was like a "Foodie Blogroll" widget instead of the comment box... I had to re-load the page several times... I am glad it finally worked! Just thought I should let you know... Stopping by from SITS! (Great idea for a blog by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Not sure why it was doing that, my page has a lot of pictures so sometimes it takes a while to load especially if you have multiple tabs open at the same time. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  5. How glad am I that I found you???

    I confess I probably won't make this one, but I love that you use everyday magazines and not fru-fru ones that I'd never buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet comments :) Don't worry there are a lot of recipes in magazines that don't appeal to me either!

      Delete
  6. My son was always informing me of events, project, you-name-it at always the last minute, too. Lol!

    This recipe looks AWESOME!! I feel the same way about Memorial Day and sadly, we're always too busy to get to the grill, too. You know how much I love slow cooker recipes, so I really cannot wait to try this one. Thanks, Frugal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone :) Tell me if you like the recipe! I agree about slowcookers, they are the best!

      Delete
    2. This came out so good!! Delicious!! I cooked it on low, too, and doubled the sauce as you recommended. We dipped our thick-cut fries in the extra sauce (it did not go to waste!). Thanks, Frugal :)

      Delete
    3. Glad you doubled the sauce, the original recipe didn't have enough. I love thick-cut fries yum! I'm glad that the recipe turned out so well :)

      Delete
  7. I really need to start using my slow cooker more, this sure looks good and would be a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't used to use my slowcooker either, but now I love it :) This recipe is very easy so it would be a great start!

      Delete
  8. Have an amazing holiday weekend...Stay hydrated! :D Visiting from the Getting To Know You hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely am drinking a lot of water, it's 95 today :) have a great weekend also!

      Delete
  9. I cannot believe that the school year is almost over for us too! This year as gone by way too fast but we love summer too!

    Thank you for sharing this recipe - we love ribs but have actually never made them. Now this sounds likes recipe I can make but I first have to get a slow cooker :) Happy long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gone through so many slow cookers in the last couple of years! My husband has had a bad habit of accidentally breaking them :) I hope you have a great weekend also!

      Delete
  10. Thanks :) I hope you come back and find some new recipes to try! Going over to check our your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Popping over from SITS to say hi! Congrats!

    Lesley
    http://byporchlight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Hope your having a great memorial day weekend!

      Delete
  12. Yum! We're doing ribs tomorrow! Looks great. Visiting from the AFBH, following via Networked Blogs and Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your ribs turn out yummy! We are grilling out burgers and corn tomorrow, yum! Followed you back :)

      Delete
  13. YUM!! I love your blog, always have, these ribs look scrumdilly (c: Thanks for sharing!! How awesome to be featured on SITS, YAY! You deserve it! I followed on Google connect, tweeted, followed, Google plus-ed, liked, etc! Thank you!

    Nicole@hersocialnetwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, your so sweet :) The ribs were good and very easy! I love using my crockpot, especially when I have little time to prep for dinner.

      Delete
  14. We're smoking some pork in a smoker we found at our local dump today. Weird, but it was in great condition! Can't wait until it's ready. We've had it going since this morning. Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that's weird :) My mom found a great table at the dump that she re-did before I was born and I have always loved it, it's beautiful! Your pork sounds yummy!

      Delete
  15. In Hawai'i they'd say your ribs look "broke da mouth 'ono". These look so delicious.

    Your post was featured in my Monday Bytes favorite posts of the week!! Check it out here and grab a badge if you want!
    http://www.whatjeanlikes.com/2012/05/monday-bytes-4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, best of all they were easy :) Thanks for the feature, going to check it out now!

      Delete
  16. looks delish, hope you had a great Memorial Day! visiting from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they turned out well. I had a great memorial day weekend, it was relaxed, which is how I like it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...