March 9, 2012

Pinto Beans

We eat a lot of pinto beans in our house. In West Virginia there are a few foods that everyone seems to make including pinto beans, pepperoni rolls, and ramps. My five-year-old already has preferences as to the the proper chow chow to put on his pinto beans. There are various ways to prepare a great bowl of pinto beans. My mother-in-law makes great beans with her pressure cooker. I really only use my pressure cooker for canning and haven't branched out to anything more. My favorite way to make pinto beans is in my slow-cooker. The beans come out tasting great and take very little effort to make. Here's my recipe:

  • 1 smoked ham hock
  • 1 lb of dried of pinto beans
  • water to cover
  • chow chow or sweet onion for garnish
Rinse and then cover dried pinto beans with water and soak overnight. Dump water and then add beans to slow-cooker. Place ham hock in the center of the beans and cover with water (at least six cups, normally I add a little more). Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Salt to taste (it may take a large amount of salt to adequately season the beans). Don't add salt to the beans while they are cooking or the beans will not fully cook. After serving the beans top with chow chow and enjoy!

Pinto beans are very easy to make and are great with a big slice of cornbread slathered in butter. Even my two boys love these beans and will eat bowls full. Using the slow-cooker makes for an easy dinner that takes only minutes to prep.

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks :) They taste great and are very easy!

      Delete
  2. Bean, beans the magical fruit...sorry I couldn't resist;)xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest son sings that every time I make beans :)

      Delete
  3. We eat SO many refried beans and I make them with dried pinto beans. My mom used to always make ham and beans... and I hated it!! I have not once made it for my family because I disliked it that much as a child. I should try again, because I always felt that way about salmon patties growing up and now its a family favorite here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the leftover pinto beans in burritos all the time, they actually taste delicious! Pinto beans if they are made right are really yummy, have your tried them with relish or chow chow? That really can make the difference, plus make sure to salt them enough. I understand about hating some foods, my mom made some dishes that I still can't stand even though everyone else seems to love them :)

      Delete
  4. Last year I actually canned bean soup, and when we had it this winter it was so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love canning!! Bean soup sounds delicious!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's a cabbage relish. It can be slightly spicy. I also use a sweet pepper and apple relish to top the beans with. They are both slightly sweet and yummy!

      Delete
  6. Yay! Another recipe for my crock pot! Thanks, Frugal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can tell I use my crock pot a lot :) I hope you like it!

      Delete
  7. ham hocks from the piug we slaughtered last year and 10 pounds of pinto beans mean this is on the list of food this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous that you raise your own pigs, I bet your ham hocks will be great!

      Delete
  8. great site. New follower from blogaholic. Thanks for visiting my blog, and glad I checked yours out, its great. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet comments! Have a great week :)

      Delete
  9. I love this soup!!! inexpensive, easy and healthy thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It really is easy and costs very little to make!

      Delete
  10. Hi Ann! Great recipe as usual! I am starving of course:) I was happy to find you had the most visited link from the Finally Friday hop! You have been featured this morning! Check it out! Thanks so much for your continued support!
    Loressa
    lifescuriouswisdom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) That's great, I'm so glad to be featured on your blog! Going over to check it out now!

      Delete
  11. Hi- I work for Global Franchise Group and we manage Marble Slab Creamery, MaggieMoo's Treatery, Pretzelmaker, & Great American Cookies. I wanted to add you to our internal mail system (so that we can send you coupons for your readers). You won't receive any spammy emails...just the coupons and special offers. If you are interested, please send your email address to me directly @ customerservice@gfgmanagement.com. Best- Jasmine :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow..delicious recipe with pinto beans...loved it ! bookmarked the recipe !

    ReplyDelete
  13. New follower on GFC from make my morning hop.
    http://www.housesbyshannon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks yummy and simple! Thanks for sharing.
    Laundry Care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is very simple and tastes great!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...