February 15, 2012

Food Network Magazine Slow-Cooker Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup

I seem to have a theme lately on all my posts. In the last couple of months I have made numerous slow cooker recipe. They are great when my two boys are acting ornery and nothing seems to be getting done. Most of the dishes that I have made have been beef or pork, which are delicious and easy to make in the crockpot. However, I have been trying to branch out and try new vegetarian dishes. The recipes I have tried have been hit or miss, so when I saw a recipe for Slow-Cooker Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup in the December issue of the Food Network Magazine, I figured it was worth a try.

This recipe has 12 ingredients. It takes 25 minutes of prep and eight hours of cooking time in the crockpot and makes 4 servings. I did have a problem finding one of the recipe ingredients. For whatever reason all the major grocery stores in my area refuse to carry any type of lentil other than the basic brown variety. Luckily I discovered when looking for ingredients for this dish that the smaller Lebanese market near my house has bagged red lentils. I was very happy! I had no problems finding any of the other ingredients and made no substitutions. I did find that the finished soup was way too watery for my tastes. I suggest using either chicken broth (or vegetable broth to keep it vegetarian). The broth would add greatly to the overall flavor of the dish. I followed the remainder of the recipe as written.

With only four grams of fat and twelve grams of protein, this dish is a great healthy option. I would definitely suggest adding the broth instead of water. As written the recipe lacks flavor due to the water, with the substitution the recipe would be great. A very easy, vegetarian slowcooker meal that takes less than a half an hour to prepare. Great for a weeknight meal!

For the recipe go to Slow-Cooker Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup.

16 comments:

  1. I don't get this magazine - do you like it?

    I am not sure that I would have tried this recipe out, but will give it a shot since you gave it a great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started getting it a couple of months back. A lot of the recipes are really high in fat, I skip over those since no one needs 50 grams of fat for any meal. They do have some great lower calories recipes and those I have liked so far. I hope you like the recipe if you try it, just make sure to use broth not water :)

      Delete
  2. I have been visiting often, but for one reason or another, not commenting. This one though made me realize I needed to say "hi" and besides my 2 favorite ingredients are in there! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a problem with the same thing :) I am great about visiting blogs, but not about commenting! Thanks for the visit, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. New follower from FNF Hop! I look forward to your posts and hope you'll follow back: www.mommysblockparty.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! I always visit you when I am starving it seems:) Thanks for linking up! Have added you to FB favorites (because I desperatly needed one more social network to manage:) Thanks again!
    Loressa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Thanks for hosting the hop, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Following you now from the FNF Hop! Excited to try some of these recipes :) would love if you'd follow back!:
    http://bakesewrite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Followed you back, have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. this looks super yummy, Im going to give it a try! I'm a new follower, via linky & GFC from the hop, thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...