January 31, 2012

Saveur Spaghetti and Meatballs

I love spaghetti and meatballs. There are few foods as comforting as a huge plate of homemade spaghetti and sauce. I have nothing against jarred pasta sauce, but it can't hold a candle to day long simmered homemade. Especially in the summer when tomatoes are fresh homemade sauce is delicious from the first to the last bite. Growing up my mother was the queen of doctoring up store bought sauces. She would add onion, basil, and oregano and serve it as homemade. In every other way my mother was a fabulous cook, but pasta sauce was never her strong suit. Luckily I was able to learn to create great tasting pasta sauce from friends and family that I still use as base for my homemade sauce to this day. Always up to trying new things, I was interested when a recent issue of Saveur Magazine had a recipe for Spaghetti and Meatballs combining three types of meat.

This recipe has 19 ingredients. It takes approximately an hour and half to prep and cook and makes 8 servings. I made a few modifications to the recipe. First off I always grind my own meat, which I did with the pork and beef in this recipe. I would have loved to have ground my own veal, but my local stores only carry it pre-ground. Second I was unable to find provolone that wasn't sliced, so I actually had to shred my cheese using cheese slices, luckily it worked pretty well. The biggest changes I made the recipe were the size of the meatballs and the cooking time. To make 6 oz meatballs seemed extreme to me, especially when feeding two kids, so I made my meatballs substantially smaller. I also found that the liquid evaporated from my sauce very quickly, so make sure to watch the sauce so it doesn't get too dry.

The meatballs are the best part of this recipe. They were moist and had a great flavor. The sauce was a little too sweet, it would almost be better on a hoggie with the sauce and banana peppers. However. the meatballs are well worth the recipe and my family loved them. I would suggest adding an additional can of tomatoes to cut down on the sweetness and possibly crushed red pepper. Overall, a kid friendly recipe that still appeals to adults.

8 comments:

  1. This is one of our favorite recipes! We also like the meatballs a little smaller and add quit a bit more tomato sauce. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love this recipe also! I agree that I modify it to make much smaller meatballs and add more tomato sauce also. It tastes great!

      Delete
  2. Ann, that looks spectacular! Thanks for getting the collection off to a great start. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I had to dig hard for veal recipes since I don't make them very often. Veal does make great meatballs and meatloaf though!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It really is delicious, the meats blend so well together!

      Delete
  4. This looks amazing~ I can smell it cooking~Yum! Have a Great Week~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...