December 23, 2011

Better Homes and Gardens Curried Chicken Stew

I love my slowcooker. I know I have stated this many times before, but I can't express my love enough. There is nothing better than placing ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and coming back in the evening to a fully cooked and delicious meal. With two active and growing boys I appreciate anything that saves me time and money during the hectic week. I also appreciate how inexpensive slowcooker meals tend to be, they are normally a fraction of the cost of other recipes. One meal that my family loves in or out of the crockpot is curry. My husband would probably live on curry if I let him. I have had a hard time finding curry recipes for the crockpot that have been up to my expectations and I was interested when the December issue of Better Homes and Gardens Magazine had a recipe for Curried Chicken Stew, which only cost $2.08 per serving and looked very simple to prepare.

This recipe has 10 ingredients (if using all optional ingredients). It takes 8 hours on low to cook in the crockpot and 20 minutes of prep and makes 4 servings. All the ingredients were easy to find at my local grocery store and I made no modifications to the ingredients. For the curry paste I used a jar of yellow Thai curry paste that I already had in my fridge. As I always do I cooked this recipe on low in my crockpot, I prefer to cook low and slow in my slowcooker. For the carrots I used baby carrots since they were on sale and saved me a little bit of prep time. I chose to serve the stew over rice and sprinkled it with raisins and pistachios. I followed the remainder of the recipe as written.

My husband was very impressed with this stew. He was surprised that it was able to come out as well as it did in the slowcooker and he ate his serving and all the leftovers the next day. The recipe states that it makes 4 servings, but it served my family of  four, plus enough for leftover in my husband's lunch the next day. I loved how easy this was to make and how well the flavors came together. Overall, a great new recipe for the crockpot.

 For the recipe go to Curried Chicken Stew.


8 comments:

  1. i need a slow cooker too. so many things are missing in my house...
    chicken curry sounds great! It looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following back from Meet Me on the Brightside! This looks amazing!! I also love my slow cooker, I'll have to try this recipe. Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas,
    You're much better cook than me! You're chicken curry makes my mouth water...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Helene, I love my slow cooker, its the best! Thanks :)

    @Kristin Thanks :) I use my slowcooker a lot in the fall and winter, it is the best! Happy holidays!

    @Lucie Merry Christmas :) Thanks, the curry really was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Curried chicken stew. Certainly looks good. I love curried chicken so I am sure I would enjoy this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Judy Thanks :) It really was yummy and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! This stew look deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelish!
    Glad you left a comment on my blog so I could find you :)
    Looking forward to reading your post!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mommalicious Mom It really is yummy :) Thanks, I hope you find some recipes that you like!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...