August 30, 2011

Saveur Lexington Pulled Pork

In the summer when the weather gets too hot, I love using my crock-pot to make BBQ. Now, my husband bought a very nice charcoal grill/smoker on clearance about 8 years ago, which we used for two years and then we moved into our current place. Since that time it has sat in our basement in need of sanding and painting. I would love to be able to have slow smoked BBQ done on the charcoal smoker, but I don't see my husband fixing it anytime soon and he refuses to use a gas grill. So in order to satisfy my love of BBQ I have learned to convert traditional BBQ recipes into the slow-cooker. Recently, Saveur magazine had a recipe for Lexington Pulled Pork, which looked perfect for the slow-cooker.

This recipe has 16 ingredients, 9 for the rub and 7 for the sauce. Since this recipe is written for the grill, I made some major modifications. First I prepared the rub and rubbed it all over the pork and let it sit for about an hour. Then I sprayed the slow cooker with olive oil, placed the pork shoulder in it, fat side up and let it cook on low for about 8 hours. I do not add additional water to my slow cooker when making pulled pork, there is enough fat from the pork to keep it moist for the whole cooking time and  I always let my pork cook for a very long time (I have let it cook for up to 16 hours before). When the pork has cooked for eight hours, I take it out, shred it and return it to the slow-cooker with the sauce. Let the pork and sauce cook for an additional hour and it's done. In our house we serve pulled pork with coleslaw (homemade coleslaw recipe to be posted to the blog next week). My husband refuses to eat BBQ or hotdogs without 'slaw.

The slow-cooker worked great for this recipe and the sauce and rub were absolutely delicious. My husband was surprised how well the BBQ turned out in the crock-pot and my two boys ate their whole serving. This recipe is a great way to make BBQ, when you don't have access to a grill or don't the time for all day smoking.

For the recipe go to Saveur Lexington Pulled Pork.


6 comments:

  1. mmm...recipes look delish! will have to try some of them! now following :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good, your blog is great. I am following from Work Week Blog Hop, http://dawnsdelightsart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must be so delicious! I could have some right now!:)
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does look delicious!I am a big fan of pulled pork-thanks for the link

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my site...I love seeing all the recipes you tried and very excited about this one. I have 8 lbs of pork butt in my freezer..no smoker, but have a slow cooker. This looks like a good one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Tina we are big pulled pork fans in our house also :)

    @Laura I hope you try it and it turns out well :) I use my crock pot all the time for pork dishes and they always turn out delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...