May 28, 2011

Better Homes and Gardens Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Chile Pepper Slaw




I have been trying to get more fish into family's diet. We are good about eating lots of chicken, turkey and vegetarian dishes, but  I haven't been making as many fish dishes as I would like. Most of the fish dishes that I have made involve grilled fish in the oven, which can get boring if made too often. My two boys love fish, so I have been making an effort to try more fish recipes. I was excited when the May issue of Better Homes and Gardens had a recipe for Fish Tacos.

A couple of years back my local grocery store eliminated their fresh fish counter. We have a fresh fish market in my city, but the hours are inconvenient for my schedule. For this recipe I would have preferred fresh cod, but settled for frozen. I had to go to multiple stores to find the poblano pepper, but that is true with any pepper besides jalapenos. The remainder of the ingredients for this recipe were easy to find at my local grocery store. There is a decent amount of prep involved in this recipe, with the citrus peels having to be grated and the ingredients for the slaw sliced. I recently upgraded to new citrus peelers, which has greatly improved my prep time for shredding citrus peels. The prep work is easy, and the cooking minimal, most of the work is done in the oven. I found the total time to be less than the 40 minutes of total prep suggested by recipe. I did find the proportions for the packets to be small, the men in my house eat more than little packets would provide. My two and four year old ate an entire packet each.

I think this recipe would have benefited greatly by using fresh cod. Like any frozen fish, the texture of the fish was slightly off from being frozen. The taste of the citrus with the fish was pleasant and my two children loved the tacos. I would use this recipe again and try to find fresh cod or halibut. 














14 comments:

  1. I have never tried fish tacos. But the addition of the cabbage sounds really good.

    I am following you GFC.
    I am also following you via Memorial Day Finding New Friends Weekend Blog Hop. Stop by a visit my blog when you get a chance.


    http://itsabouttimemamaw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love cooking blogs! Glad to have found yours! Happy Sunday! I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog as well! If you like it you can follow back! Thanks! Hope to blog with you again soon!

    Http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Visiting from the FNF bloghop. Great blog! I love fish tacos. It's a staple in our household ;) I am a new follower ;) Please stop by Diaper Style Memoirs and follow back :) Check out and enter the amazing Honeycup Giveaway while you're there!

    Inessa
    Diaper Style Memoirs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good!
    Getting the word out.. still and again for Haley - today she is in the hospital receiving yet again another blood transfusion - She needs a bone marrow transplant - Please go to her Facebook page and like it - if you can donate - Please say "I want to donate" and I will contact you with all you need. thank you - Kelly
    Sunday Post
    Haley's Facebook Page
    I've Become My Mother
    I've Become My Mother facebook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following everyone back, thanks for the follows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That meal looks so yummy. Hopping by from the Weekend Blog Hop Till You Drop! Thanks for linking up. Have a great day!
    Char
    The Epic Adventures of a Modern Mom
    http://1epicmom.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've also been trying to get more fish into our diet. I've never made fish tacos but these look good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMM, that looks delicious!! Following you from http://www.weightlossmother.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. am already hungry from all the food.nice blog.follwing u from monday blog hop.be sre to follow back.http://ninakema.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really really good! I actually run a recipe of the week series on my blog and I would love to feature you as a guest blogger! If you are interested, please contact me through my blog with your email address!! Thanks so much! I would love a follow too! :-)

    http://greatexpectations-kyna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have never tried that, but I have heard it is good. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    Following you from VoiceBoks!~Lisa
    I am all a twitter about life

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those look delicious. I've never tried fish tacos. I think the coleslaw is what would make them super yummy. Stopping by from your comment from Magnificent Monday blog hop. Following you on GFC now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks DELICIOUS!!!!

    Mandie
    http://time4mommy.com
    A Community for Moms

    ReplyDelete
  14. Following everyone back, have a great week!
    @Jackie, the coleslaw is the best part!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...